I wanted to share these new New Elf on the Shelf Ideas (the best ever!) with you today! These easy and funny new Elf on the Shelf ideas are perfect because our kids have been asking when our Elf, Gilbert, will be back… they started asking on October 1st! Now I’m prepared with Elf Ideas!
They are ready to take funny Elf on the Shelf pictures!
Where do I hide my elf on the shelf?
There are so many great options, and I’m happy to give you over 40 of them here! Most of these easy elf on the shelf ideas are geared towards our sons because our daughter wasn’t old enough to “get it” until after I put these ideas together.
First up though, if you don’t have one already, you need to get your Elf on the Shelf!
Where do I get an Elf on the Shelf?
They’re in stores all over around Christmas time. Or if you want to plan ahead, you can get one with my affiliate link on Amazon here. Once you get your Elf, it’s time to start letting your elf have fun.
First up is to figure out how to welcome your elf – or how to welcome it back!
Elf on the Shelf Arrival Ideas
When we first welcomed our elf to the family, it was with a lot of anticipation on our part and a bit of confusion from the kids. One morning he was just there and although we tried to explain his presence, it still was a bit confusing.
Looking back now, I wish we would have had a welcome letter to introduce him to our kids.
What is an Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter?
The Elf Welcome Letter is a friendly note from your elf explaining who he is, why he’s there, and what the kids can expect. I’ve seen some notes that really emphasize how the elf is watching all the time and reporting back to Santa. Personally, I find that a bit creepy and I know my kids would be a little bit freaked out about it. Who wants to think the elf is staring at them all day and night?!
Instead, I think a welcome letter should be warm and encouraging. After all, the holiday is about love and family – not tattling!
10 Elf on the Shelf Welcome Back Ideas
Including a welcome back letter when the elf arrives to visit your family for the holidays can be a great way to re-introduce him to your family’s routine. Even just a simple note that says, “I’m back!” is a great idea, if he’s been there before. Here are some other ideas.
- Have your elf arrive in a package from “The North Pole” and turn up in the mailbox or via “EPS” – that’s Elf Parcel Service in case you’re wondering!
- Tape your elf to the outside of the front window with a sign that says, “I’m back!”
- Let him hang out in the breakfast cupboard so that when your kids open it to get their cereal, he’s right there waiting.
- Play a hide and seek game to find him somewhere in the house.
- Let your elf “cook” a big breakfast and be waiting for everyone when they come downstairs in the morning.
- Although your elf may be waiting in the family room for everyone to wake up, it just might be possible to see the reindeer hoof prints outside from when he arrived.
- Have your elf zip line across the room to signal his return.
- Create a welcome back video starring the elf as himself.
- When your kids pull back the curtains, have the elf “bungee jumping” from the curtain rod!
- Have him hiding in the fridge next to the milk while holding hot cocoa packets and a sweet note.
Since our Elf Arrival, our kids have LOVED waking up each morning to find their elf and to see what he was doing that day! Our elf even left some kid stocking stuffers this year!
This year is going to be really fun with these new Elf on Shelf ideas that my husband and I have found! It’s a super fun Christmas tradition for kids that we get to have fun with too!
40+ Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Let him swing on his elf-made swing in the door frame using a toilet paper roll & string.
- Our boys love cars- our Elf loves to ride around at night, like this elf, on the kid’s cars and toy trucks!
- Why not ride around on the dog’s back? The elf can hold tight (with his velcro hands) onto the dog’s collar and be there all day long!
- Or he could make his Elf on the Shelf Arrival in an airplane with a note about his flight from the North Pole (or bring a note straight from Santa himself!)
- Let him shave like Daddy… that’s always funny to see (& to clean!) A little shaving cream on his face and a razor without the blade will do the trick nicely for an elf!
- Does your elf ride around on toy Dinosaurs? Ours does!
- Let him Fish for Cookies (our elf likes to hang from our light fixture in our kitchen after my cookie exchange every year)
- Is your Elf the Hero that catches the Grinch & changes his heart? Such a cute idea to have the stuffed Grinch caught in a glass jar!
- Help your Elf make this adorable car & tree ornament for your kids!
- Let him build a snowman in your freezer out of crushed ice and use felt as a scarf for the snowman & himself! (Keep it on a plate so you can bring it to kid-level in the morning)
- Watch out that the Army Guys don’t tape him to the wall with painter’s tape!
Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Boys!
- Elves love to play instruments… did you know that they are awesome guitar players? Yep- they can play the drums, too.
- Sometimes they like to hide… they hide in Silverware drawers and you don’t even find them until you get your silverware for breakfast!
- They hide in Legos (they can build a Lego fort and be inside with just their head, arms & legs sticking out!) …
- They even hide in Toilet Paper rolls! Be sure that you can see their heads and tell your elf to write a little message on the toilet paper roll “I like to play Hide & Seek”
- Make your elf a spiderman!
- Does your elf love science…maybe a little too much? Create a mad scientist lab!
- Let your elf use your son’s car slipper like a real car (who knows … maybe it becomes a real car at night?)
- Let them be one of the Ninja Turtles. A friend recently saw this on Facebook & sent it to me … and I think it fits right in!
Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Girls!
- Create your own version of The Nutcracker by letting your elf and her friends recreate the show.
- Even elves love to go to the spa! Cut up some cucumber eye masks and lounge in spa slippers and a robe.
- Roller skating is so much fun and your elf may agree! Strap on some mini-skates and let her roll!
- Have you ever tried a zip line? It might be one of your elf’s favorite things to do! Hook her up to a DIY elf harness and let her zip line across the room.
- Have a cookie baking contest between your elf and some of her favorite pint-sized pals!
- If Amelia Earhart is one of her heroes, your elf will love dressing up in a puffy parka jacket and flying through the house in a toy airplane.
- Your elf might be mischievous, but she has a soft side for animals. Let her be a vet for the night and take care of the (stuffed) animals in the house.
- Let Elsa freeze your Elf, like this photo posted to Imgur.
Best Elf on the Shelf Ideas
And yes, sometimes our elf forgets to move, but when he remembers he sure makes the kids laugh!
But there’s more to an Elf on the Shelf than just moving him around! You need to name your elf and you can also play dress-up with your elf! Check out the following fun ideas.
Elf on the Shelf Names
Naming your elf on the shelf is fun! Need help finding a fun name? Here are 20 of our favorite elf names!
Pro-Parenting Tip: If your kids disagree about the elf’s name, write each name on a slip of paper and put them into a hat. Let mom or dad pick the name!
Girl Elf on the Shelf Names
Boy Elf on the Shelf Names
Elf on the Shelf Clothes
Elf life is great, but elves definitely like the latest fashions! If your elf is still in his original clothes, you might want to think about giving his wardrobe an update with these fun elf on the shelf clothes. They’re designed to fit your elf just right and are sure to be a hit.
Elf on the Shelf Clothes for Girls
Elf on the Shelf Clothes for Boys
Ps- Do you want even more elf on the shelf ideas?
Click the pictures below…
Need more Christmas help? Be sure and check out these posts:
- 50 Non-Toy Gifts for Kids. Kids receive so many toys during the holiday and in this post, I give you a bunch of ideas to give something besides toys.
- 50 Stocking Stuffers for Kids. Stocking stuffers can be difficult to find, but this list will help fill your kid’s stocking up. And maybe has a note attached from your elf!
Meaningful Gifts for YOUR parents:
© YourModernFamily.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this article is encouraged and appreciated, copying and/or pasting articles to any social media is strictly prohibited.