Are you heading out on a summer road trip this year? From boredom busters to snacks we’ve got your road trip essentials for kids covered.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Ibotta. All offers were valid as of publish date. Don’t forget to check your app for details as offers change frequently and may not be available in all areas.
What snacks to bring on a road trip
Snacks are essential for every road trip. Having to stop every couple of hours for food and drinks cuts into a lot of driving time if you are trying to make it to a certain destination before it gets dark out.
We’ve been using these tubs for the past few years. They keep food separate for each child so there’s no fighting, and each person gets to choose what goes into their snack tub. They can have a little candy, but they also need to choose fruit, nuts, and other healthy options too. These tubs also keep food separated for kids who have allergies. We have one child who is on a gluten-free diet, so knowing that he’s not accidentally grabbing something that he shouldn’t eat gives me peace of mind.
Tip: Put an ice pack into the main tray to keep drinks, sandwiches, and other items cool.
Note: You can find these Latchmate white storage tubs with a tray at Michaels craft store. Order online and pick it up in-store or have it delivered and you will get cash back with Ibotta.
Don’t forget to pack lots of water too. If you happen to break down on the side of the road and need to wait for roadside assistance, the summer heat can get to you quickly.
Family road trip snack ideas
Here are a few ideas of snacks you can include in your own travel tubs. Don’t forget to check your Ibotta app for great cash back deals.
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit
- Granola or protein bars
- Vegetable chips
- Candy – lollipops, dark chocolate, and gummy candy are a good choice
- Small tubs of hummus – along with carrots, celery, or pretzels for dipping
- Trail mix – make your own using their favorite cereal
- Applesauce or smoothie pouches
When you stop for gas, don’t forget to check your Ibotta app for deals at convenience stores and gas stations. Places such as Shell, Circle K, and Love’s (along with others) have great offers available for you to refill your snack tubs.
How do I entertain my child on a long car ride?
Play games that we used to play in the car as kids:
- I spy with my little eye
- Punch buggy
- The license plate game
- Travel bingo
If your kids have portable devices such as an iPad or cell phone there are a few options for you available through Ibotta.
- Get 3 months of Amazon Kids+ for $0.99. There are thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, Audible books, and more.
- Download Disney+ or Hulu. With the ad-free versions, you can download shows to watch even when you are in an area that doesn’t have Wi-Fi.
- Ibotta has put together a Spotify summer road trip playlist for you.
Don’t forget to pack headphones so that everyone can watch their shows, play games, or listen to music in peace.
Shop the Disney Store or Zulily online and get cash back on fun games, activity books, and more for the kids to stay busy.
Making stops on your road trip
Whether you are stopping at a gas station, staying overnight at a hotel, or have plenty of time to spare for sightseeing, here is how you can earn cash back with Ibotta. Make sure to click through the app for these great deals:
- Look for deals on Groupon for activities and sightseeing stops along your route.
- When everyone is tired in the hotel room and doesn’t want to leave for food, get food delivered using UberEats or DoorDash.
- Book last-minute hotel stays online through Hotels.com, Best Western, Vrbo, and more.
Road trip essentials
Don’t forget to pack these things for your road trip too:
- Trash bags
- Hand sanitizer
- Favorite toy
- Roadside assistance membership card
- Extra water bottles
- Toilet paper
- First aid kit
Looking for more great ideas that you can get cash back from Ibotta? Try these: